SIAG LA digest
Jun 7, 2016 • Jen Pestana
SIAM News articles, SIAM Connect and SIAM blogs will soon come together at the SIAM News Online site. This presents a great opportunity to showcase linear algebra activities and research to a much wider audience. If you have any linear algebra news that you think would be appreciated by a wider audience please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
- NEW BOOK, Introduction to Linear Algebra by Gilbert Strang, Fifth Edition, June 2016
- PMAA’16 Workshop - July 6-8, Bordeaux, France
- IEEE International Conference on Computing, Analytics and Security Trends
- Submissions for next SIAM-LA digest
It is a pleasure to report the publication of this new edition.
The first six chapters are the text for hundreds of math/CS/engineering departments (and increasingly also good high schools – a positive sign in linear algebra’s battle for a front seat beside calculus in math education).
The website http://math.mit.edu/linearalgebra shows the Table of Contents and offers six sections to download. This is the book that goes with my video lectures for 18.06 on OpenCourseWare http://ocw.mit.edu.
This edition has become more than a textbook. That will always be its first purpose – the basic course develops bases for the Four Fundamental Subspaces (the column space and nullspace of A and A’ ) The incidence matrices of graphs are outstanding examples – and A’A is symmetric positive semidefinite. Elimination for Ax=b and rank and projections and determinants and eigenvalues are central.
The new Chapter 7 presents the SVD along with Principal Components in finance and data analysis. Combined with Chapter 12 on Probability/Statistics this becomes a text for a graduate course and a resource at work.
My favorite graphs (below) show the singular values of two special matrices – a triangular matrix L of 1’s and
the Hilbert matrix. Notice the steep dropoff for hilb(40). The singular values of L drop slowly and stop at 1/2 .
Linear algebra has become central in modern applied mathematics. I hope you will look at the website http://math.mit.edu/linearalgebra and also at the writing and the approach in the book itself.
The 9th International Workshop on Parallel Matrix Algorithms and Applications (PMAA16) will be held in Bordeaux (France) and will run from July 6 to 8, 2016.
The program is now online at http://pmaa16.inria.fr and registrations are still open (thanks to sponsoring we succeeded to have no registration fee for PhD students).
- Cleeve Ashcraft (LSTC, Livermore) - An industrial perspective on new solvers
- Costas Bekas (IBM, Switzerland) - HPC Frontiers in Cognitive Computing
- Thierry Deutsch (CEA, France) - Linear scaling method with Daubechies Wavelets for Electronic Structure Calculation
- Jack Dongarra (University of Tennessee, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and University of Manchester) - Current Trends High-Performance Computing and Challenges for the Future
We look forward welcoming you in Bordeaux in July!
The PMAA’16 organizers
We are indeed happy to announce the IEEE International Conference on Computing, Analytics and Security Trends on 19th to 21st December 2016 at College of Engineering Pune, Maharashtra, India.
Potential authors are invited to submit manuscripts of original unpublished research and recent developments in the topics related to the CAST-2016 conference.
Accepted papers will be published in the conference proceedings, which will be submitted to IEEE Xplore Digital Library.
Call for original contributions from wide area listed below but are not limited to:
- Data Analytics, Big Data and Bioinformatics
- Information Security and Networking
- Distributed, Parallel and Cloud Computing
- Natural Language Processing and Information Retrieval
- Signal Processing, Multimedia and Embedded Systems
- Green Computing and Sustainable Energy Systems
For details, please visit conference website : http://cast2016.coep.org.in/
Paper Submission Deadline: June 19, 2016
Thanks & Regards
CAST 2016 Team
College of Engineering Pune.
The next SIAM-LA Digest is due to be sent out on Jul 04, 2016. Please send any postings for the next Digest to siam-la at siam.org. Only SIAG/LA members may submit postings. To contact the list owner, send an email to siam-la-owner at siam.org.