A month in linear algebra
Nov 7, 2014 • David Bindel
Several conferences of possible interest to SIAG-LA members were announced this month on the SIAG-LA digest and NA-digest, including:
- Structured Matrices and Tensors: Analysis, Algorithms, and Applications in December 2014
- SIAM Southeastern Atlantic Section Conference in March 2015
- Conference in honor of Volker Mehrmann in May 2015
- SIAM Workshop on Network Science in May 2015
- Precond 2015 in June 2015
- CIME Summer School on Exploiting Hidden Structure in Matrix Computations in June 2015
- Sparse Days in France in June 2015
- SIAM Conference on Control and Its Applications in July 2015
- Conference in honor of Nick Trefethen in August 2015
- Householder XX in June 2017
In addition, the call for proposals for the Gene Golub SIAM Summer School has been posted. Letters of intent are due by January 31, 2015.
Possibly interesting items from the web at large:
- Cleve Moler explains in two parts the history of the MATLAB logo.
- There was a Banff workshop on Sparse Representations, Numerical Linear Algebra, and Optimization at the start of the month. Dustin Mixon, one of the attendees blogged about the meeting.
- Gil Strang has an article on The Core Ideas in Our Teaching in the Doceamus section of the October issue of Notices of the AMS.
- Birkhauser has released a new book on the life of André-Louis Cholesky.
- In updating the SIAG-LA web site, I encountered a report from 20 years ago on the 1994 SIAM LA conference. It’s interesting to see how things change and how they remain the same.
- The November SIAG-LA digest was posted on November 3; in addition to email, it is available online.